Here are some tips to prevent dog bites. All dog owners should be aware of these tips every day of the year not just one week out of the year. And to non dog owners these are good tips for you too, as you may encounter a dog off leash.
If you come across an unleashed dog;
- Do not yell at the animal. This may aggravate the dog and trigger aggression that they may or may not have. Speak calmly and firmly.
- Resist the urge to turn and run away. This will tell the dog that you are either its prey or that you want to play with them.
- Stand still, with your hands at your sides.
- Avoid eye contact and stay facing the dog.
- Back away slowly once the dog loses interest in you, slowly back away until he is out of sight.
- If the dog does attack, “feed” him your jacket, purse, bicycle, or anything that you can put between yourself and the dog.
If you get bitten here are some tips from the Humane Society.org
- Immediately wash the wound thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Contact your physician for additional care and advice.
- Report the bite to your local animal care and control agency. Tell the animal control official everything you know about the dog, including his owner’s name and the address where he lives. If the dog is a stray, tell the animal control official what the dog looks like, where you saw him, whether you’ve seen him before, and in which direction he went.